Sunday 26 April 2020

Fourth Sunday of Easter A

Image result for fourth sunday of easter a

Entrance Antiphon [Introit]:

The merciful love of the Lord fills the earth;
by the word of the Lord the heavens were made, alleluia. Psalm 33:5-6 [Roman Missal]
Misericordia Domini plena est terra, alleluia: verbo Dei cæli firmati sunt, alleluia, alleluia.
Ps. Exsultate iusti in Domino: rectos decet collaudatio. [Graduale Romanum, p.223]
Misericordia Domini plena est terra, alleluia: verbo Dei cæli firmati sunt, alleluia, alleluia.
Ps. Exsultate iusti in Domino: rectos decet collaudatio. [Gregorian Missal, p.364]
Choose an Antiphona ad introitum and Psalmus from either of the two Masses for Eastertide, particularly Missa I [Graduale simplex, pp.165-171]
Ego sum pastor bonus, qui pasco oves meas, et pro ovibus meis pono animam meam, alleluia.
Psalm 23, verse 1-9

Other Settings and Translations

  1. Misericordia Domini (Giuseppe Pitoni)
  2. Ego sum pastor bonus [Graduale simplex, p.165]
  3. Ego sum pastor bonus (Thomas Kuras)
  4. The earth is full of the mercy of the Lord [Simple English Propers, p.118 (Adam Bartlett)]
  5. The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord [Simple Choral Gradual, p.102 (Richard Rice) CMAA]

Liturgy of the Word:

  • First Reading: Acts of the Apostles 2:14a,36-41 God has made Him (Jesus) both Lord and Christ.
  • Between the Readings:
    • Alleluia I (Responsorial Psalm):
      1. Alleluia. Redemptionem misit [Graduale Romanum, p.223]
      2. Alleluia. Redemptionem misit [Gregorian Missal, p.365]
      3. Confitemini Domino [Graduale simplex, p.166]
    • Psalm 23:1-3a / 3b-4 / 5 / 6 The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
      1. Chabanel Psalmody
      2. CBWIII
  • Second Reading: I Peter 2:20b-25 You have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls.
  • Alleluia II (Gospel Acclamation):
      1. Alleluia. Ego sum pastor bonus [Graduale Romanum, p.223]
      2. Alleluia. Ego sum pastor bonus [Gregorian Missal, p.366]
      3. Ego sum pastor bonus (Thomas Kuras)
      4. Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia. Confitemini Domino [Graduale simplex, p.168]
    • Gospel Verse: John 10:14 I am the good shepherd, says the Lord; I know my sheep, and mine know me.
  • Gospel; John 10:1-10 He calls his own sheep by name.

Offertory Antiphon:

O God, you are my God whom I seek; lifting up my hands I will call upon your name, alleluia. Psalm 63:2, 5 **
Verses of Psalm 136 can also be sung between repetitions of the antiphon.
Deus, Deus meus, ad te de luce vigilio: et in nomine tuo levabo manus meas, alleluia. [Graduale Romanum, p.224]
Deus, Deus meus, ad te de luce vigilio: et in nomine tuo levabo manus meas, alleluia. [Gregorian Missal, p.366]
Choose an Antiphona ad offertorium and Psalmus from either of the two Masses for Eastertide, particularly Missa I [Graduale simplex, pp.165-171]
Ad te de luce vigilio, Deus, ut videam virtutem tuam, alleluia.
Psalm 63, verses 1-4

Other Settings and Translations:

  1. O God, my God, from daybreak [Simple English Propers, p.119 (Adam Bartlett)]
  2. O God, you are my God [Simple Choral Gradual, p.103 (Richard Rice) CMAA]
  3. O God, thou art my God (Henry Purcell)

Communion Antiphon:

The Good Shepherd has risen,
who laid down his life for his sheep
and willingly died for his flock, alleluia. [Roman Missal]
Ego sum pastor bonus, alleluia: et cognosco oves meas, et cognoscunt me meæ alleluia, alleluia. John 10:14 [Graduale Romanum, p.224]
Psalm 23:1-2a,2b-3a,3b-4ab,4cd,5ab,5cd,6ab,6cd -or- Psalm 33:1,12,13,14,15,18,19,20,21,22 can also be sung between repetitions of this antiphon.
Ego sum pastor bonus, alleluia: et cognosco oves meas, et cognoscunt me meæ alleluia, alleluia. John 10:14 [Gregorian Missal, p.367]
Choose an Antiphona ad communionem and Psalmus from either of the two Masses for Eastertide, particularly Missa I [Graduale simplex, pp.165-171]
In Galilæa Iesum videbitis sicut dixit vobis, alleluia.
Psalm 16, verses 1-10

Other Settings and Translations

  1. Ego sum pastor bonus (Thomas Kuras)
  2. I am the good shepherd, alleluia [Simple English Propers, p.120 (Adam Bartlett)]
  3. The Good Shepherd is risen [Simple Choral Gradual, p.104 (Richard Rice) CMAA]

Mass Settings

  1. Missa I – Lux et origo (Gregorian chant) [Graduale Romanum, p.710]
  2. Missa I – Lux et origo (Gregorian chant) [Graduale simplex, p.75]
  3. Missa Jubilate Deo (Gregorian Chant) [CBWIII]

Other liturgical music

  • My Shepherd Is the Lord (Rev. Joseph Gelineau)
  • Vidi aquam (Gregorian chant) Proper chant for Sprinkling Rite [Liber usualis, p.12]

Hymns

  • At the Lamb's High Feast (CBW #563, AH #411)
  • The King of Love My Shepherd Is ( AH #580)
  • The Living God My Shepherd Is (CBW #690)
  • The Lord's My Shepherd ( CBW #689)
AH = The Adoremus Hymnal, Ignatius Press
CBW = Catholic Book of Worship II / Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops

Choral Music

  • All We Like Sheep from Messiah (G.F. Handel)
  • Alleluia! For Christ the Lord Is Risen from Cantata 207 (J.S. Bach)
  • Alleluia from Preiset dem Herrn (J.S. Bach)
  • And with His Stripes from Messiah (G.F. Handel)
  • He Shall Feed His Flock from Messiah (Handel / Burkhardt) [Morning Star Music Publishers]
  • Loving Shepherd of Thy Sheep (arr. Ludwig Lenel) [Concordia]
  • My Shepherd Will Supply My Need (arr. Virgil Thomson)
  • Savior, Like A Shepherd Lead Us (Claude Means)
  • Sheep May Safely Graze (J.S. Bach)
  • The Lord Is My Shepherd from Glorious (Abraham Kaplan)
  • The Lord Is My Shepherd (Maurice Green) [Oxford]
  • The Lord Is My Shepherd (César Franck)
  • The Lord Is My Shepherd (Puccini/DeCesare)
  • Twenty-third Psalm (Franz Schubert)

No comments: