Sunday 27 March 2022

Fifth Sunday In Lent (C)

Entrance Antiphon [Introit]:

Give me justice, O God,and plead my cause against a nation that is faithless.
From the deceitful and cunning rescue me, for you, O God, are my strength. 

Psalm 43:1, 2 [Roman Missal]

Iudica me Deus, et discerne causam meam de gente non sancta: ab homine iniquo et doloso eripe me: quia tu es Deus meus, et fortitudo mea.
Ps. Emitte lucem tuam, et veritatem tuam: ipsa me deduxerunt, et adduxerunt in montem sanctum tuum, et in tabernacula tua. [Graduale Romanum 1979, p.120]

Iudica me Deus, et discerne causam meam de gente non sancta: ab homine iniquo et doloso eripe me: quia tu es Deus meus, et fortitudo mea.
Ps. Emitte lucem tuam, et veritatem tuam: ipsa me deduxerunt, et adduxerunt in montem sanctum tuum, et in tabernacula tua. [Gregorian Missal 1990, p.265]

Vindicate me, 0 God, and defend my cause against an ungodly nation; from wicked and deceitful men deliver me, for you are my God and my strength.. V. Send forth your light and your truth; these have led me and brought me to your holy mountain and to your dwelling place. 

Deus meus, eripe me de manu peccatoris. [Graduale simplex 2007, p.108]
My God, rescue me from the hand of the sinner
Verses of Psalm 71 can also be sung between repetitions of the antiphon.

Lectionary Readings:

  • First Reading: Isaiah 43:16-21 
    • Behold, I will do something new; I will make rivers in the desert.
  • After the First Reading:
    • Gradual Psalm 142 9, 10 V. Ps. 17: 48, 49[Graduale Romanum 1979, p.121]
      • Eripe me, Domine, de inimcis meis: doce me facere voluntatem tuam.V. Liberator meus, Domine, de gentibus iracundis: ab insurgentibus in me exaltabis me: a viro iniquo eripes me. 
      • Save me, O Lord, from my enemies; Teach me to do your will V. You delivered me from my enemies, indeed, you exalted me above my adversaries you delivered me from the violent.
    • Gradual Psalm 142:9-10 V. Ps. 17:48-49 [Gregorian Missal 1990, p.266]
      • Eripe me, Domine, de inimcis meis: doce me facere voluntatem tuam.V. Liberator meus, Domine, de gentibus iracundis: ab insurgentibus in me exaltabis me: a viro iniquo eripes me. 
      • Rescue me, Lord, from my enemies; teach me to do your will. t. 0 Lord, you who save me from the wrath of the nations, you shall cause me to triumph over my assailants; you will save me from the man of evil.
    • Psalmus Responsorius I Psalm 21 (22)  [Graduale simplex 2007, p.109]
      •  R.  Ad defensionem meam conspice.                                                                                        R.   Look at my defense. 
    • Psalmus Responsorius II Psalm 128 (129) [Graduale simplex 2007, p.110]
      • R. Saepe expugnaverunt me a iuventutem mea                                                    R. Often have they attacked me from my youth
    • Responsorial Psalm: Ps. 126:1-2, 2-3,4-5m 6 (R. 3) (Roman Missal Lectionary)
      • R. The Lord has done great things for us; we are filled with joy. 
  •  Second Reading: Philippians 3:8-14 [Whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. /v.7]
  • Before the Gospel:
    • Tractus Psalm 128 V 1-4 [Graduale Romanum 1979, p.122]
      • Saepe expugneverunt me a iuventutem mea.  V. Dicat nunc Israel: Saepe expugneverunt me a iuventutem mea V. Etenim non potuerunt mihi: supra dorsum meum fabricaverunt peccatores V.Prolongaverunt iniquitatem sibi: Dominus iustus concidet cervices peccatorum.                                                                                                                                                                                                Often have they attacked me from my youth V. let Israel now say—“often have they attacked me from my youth, V. Yet they have not prevailed against me. Sinners have built upon my back. V. They prolong their iniquity” The Lord is righteous; he has cut the cords of the wicked.
    • Tractus Psalm 128 V 1-4 [Gregorian Missal 1990, p.268]
      • Saepe expugneverunt me a iuventutem mea.  V. Dicat nunc Israel: Saepe expugneverunt me a iuventutem mea V. Etenim non potuerunt mihi: supra dorsum meum fabricaverunt peccatores V.Prolongaverunt iniquitatem sibi: Dominus iustus concidet cervices peccatorum. 
      • Often have they fought against me from my youth. t. Let Israel now say: Often have they fought against me from my youth. ,1. Yet, they have not prevailed against me: my back has become an anvil for the hammering of sinners. t. They have long oppressed me with their iniquities. But the Lord of justice will break the neck of sinners. 
    • Antiphona Acclamationis [Graduale simplex 2007, p.111]
      • Amen, amen dico vobis si quis sermonum meum servaverit, mortem non gustabit in aeternum    (Then add a verse from the Psalmus Responsorius  after the First Reading which was not used )                                                                                                                                                               Truly, truly I tell you, anyone who keeps my words will never taste death in eternity 
    • Tractus Psalmus 128 (129) 1-6, 8 bc  [Graduale simplex 2007, p.112]
      • Saepe expugneverunt me a iuventutem mea Dicat nunc Israel                           V. Saepe expugneverunt me a iuventutem mea etenim non potuerunt adversum me.   V. Sopra dorsum meum araverunt aratores prolongaverunt sulcos suos.                     V. Dominus autem iustus concidit cervices peccatorum.                                             V. Confundantur et convertantur retrorsum omnes qui oderunt Sion.                           V. Benedicti Domini super vos benedicimus vobis in nomine Domini.                                                                                                                                                                “Often have they attacked me from my youth—let Israel now say—                                       V. “often have they attacked me from my youth, yet they have not prevailed against me.       V. The plowers plowed on my back; they made their furrows long.”                               V. The Lord is righteous; he has cut the cords of the wicked.                                                         V. May all who hate Zion be put to shame and turned backward.                                           V. “The blessing of the Lord be upon you! We bless you in the name of the Lord!”
    • Gospel Acclamation with Versicle: Joel 2:12-13 
      • Even now, says the Lord, return to me with your whole heart; for I am gracious and merciful.
  •  Gospel: John 8:1-11 
    • He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her. 

When catechumens and candidates for reception are present, readings may be chosen from the Year A cycle. See Year A - 5th Sunday of Lent

Offertory Antiphon:

I will give thanks to you with an upright heart; with all my heart I seek you. Be good to your servant that I may live and keep your words. Give me life according to your word. Psalm 119:7,10,17,25 **
Verses of Psalm 22 can also be sung between repetitions of the antiphon.

Confitebor tibi, Domine, in toto corde meo: retribue servo tuo: vivam, et custodiam sermones tuos: vivifica me secundum verbum tuum, Domine. [Graduale Romanum 1979, p.123]

Confitebor tibi, Domine, in toto corde meo: retribue servo tuo: vivam, et custodiam sermones tuos: vivifica me secundum verbum tuum, Domine. [Gregorian Missal 1990, p.269]

I will praise you with an upright heart. Deal bountifully with your servant, so that I may live and observe your word. Revive me according to your word.

Iudica causam meam: defende, quia potens es Domine. [Graduale simplex 2007, p.112]
Verses of Psalm 22 can also be sung between repetitions of the antiphon.

Judge my cause; Defend it, for you are powerful, O God.

Communion Antiphon:

Amen, Amen I say to you: Unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains a single grain. But if it dies, it bears much fruit. John 12:24 [Roman Missal]

When the Gospel proclaimed is from YEAR A, then the Communion Antiphon can be taken from YEAR A ( See Fifth Sunday in Year A) 

(C) Nemo te condemnavit, mulier? Nemo, Domine. Nec ego te condemnabo: iam amplius noli peccare. Jn 8:10-11 [Graduale Romanum 1979, p.124] Psalm 32:1,2,3,5ab,5cd,8,10,11 can also be sung between repetitions of this antiphon.

(C) Nemo te condemnavit, mulier? Nemo, Domine. Nec ego te condemnabo: iam amplius noli peccare. Jn 8:10-11 [Gregorian Missal 1990, p.272]

"Woman, has no one condemned you?" - "No one, Lord." - "Neither do I condemn you; go and do not sin again."

Pater, si non potest hic calix transire, nisi bibam illum, fiat voluntas tua. [Graduale simplex 2007, p.113]
Verses of Psalm 116 can also be sung between repetitions of this antiphon.

Father, if this cup can not pass unless I drink it; your will be done.

** An official, approved English translation of the Offertory Antiphon has never been published. The offertory antiphon used here is from the New Standard Revised Version Catholic Edition, a Scripture translation approved for liturgical use in the Canada

No comments: